Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Caramel All Over




It was all over the runways and magazines like Allure have jumped on the bandwagon, but one color all over the face is certainly hot for summer into autumn and winter. It makes sense, too, it's a look that manages to be sophisticated, edgy, casual, and easy all at once. There are a lot of colors that will work: corals and peaches, brown, plums, and, as I have done, caramel tones. You could use all over products, such as Stila Convertible Colors or NARS Multiples, but be wary of pink and red tones, as not only are they tricky on the eyes, but many red pigments can be irritating to them too. I chose to use separate products all in rich shades of caramel, partially because I love to use colors that are the same as my hair and I was heavily influenced by the Autumn/Winter Rodarte show which used the same sorts of shades. Another thing I love about this look is that it looks best without mascara, in fact, on the runway, they lightened the models' eyelashes and brows, and I take any opportunity to embrace the blonde. A brunette might want to try plummy colors for more drama. Unfortunately, this makeup would not photograph. Flash made the eyeshadow look orange, which it wasn't, and the sun was low enough in the sky when I tried to take photos with natural light, that my eyes watered and my skin looked so washed out in the bright sunlight. This photo doesn't do the look justice, so I apologize. There really aren't yellow patches on my cheeks and chin, I swear. I checked every other photo, and no other has this problem, but this was still the best picture of the look as a whole; I didn't want to alter the photo anymore than what I normally do for color correction.

Skin:
LORAC ProtecTINT SPF 30 Tinted Moisturizer in Dare to Bare over the whole face
Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick in Porcelain as concealer.
MAC Select Sheer Pressed Powder in NC15.

Eyes:
The warm brown shade from Dior Beige Massai Palette layered with Goldenrod by MAC to warm it up.
Then I brushed a mix of the shimmery gold and tan shades from the Stila Color wheel on the brow bone and onto the eyebrows and eyelashes to warm them up and lighten them even further than nature has.

Cheeks:
Illamasqua Matte Cream Pigment in Hollow under the cheekbones and onto the cheeks.

Lips:
Over a base of Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in SC-2, I used a thin layer of MAC Satin Lipstick in Photo, a golden brown. This is the same lipstick used in my runway inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment